Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thursday Craft 'n Chat - Using Mists


The design team was asked to share a technique with Made Especially For You's blog readers. For my Craft 'n Chat post I'll be showing three different ways to use mists.



For my first technique I'm going to use four different mists to ink up a large background stamp. It's important that the mists not be opaque as that can muck up your stamps and they also dry a lot faster than clear mists. Studio Calico Mr. Huey's Mists work really well for this technique. I also used a glimmer mist which worked well too, but if I had another that didn't have glitter I would have preferred to use that instead.


Mist up the stamp really well trying not to mix the colors up too much. Dab off any that pooled heavily (like the green bit you can see in the middle right edge) with a paper towel lightly, trying not to remove too much of the ink. You really just want to remove enough that it won't drip when you turn it over to stamp.


Sadly the pink and the orange are a little too close in color to really show up in a photo, but I promise it was pretty in person.


Next I'm going to paint a woodgrain stamped image with these three colors using a water paint brush.


You only need to use the water feature of the water paint brush if you're going to use an opaque mist. So if you're not using one, a regular dry brush would work just fine! If you are you'll notice it'll cover too much of the stamped image when you paint it on, so just thin it out with a little bit of water till you're happy with the result. I shook the gold mist up and unscrewed the top off. I dipped my clean paint brush directly into the bottle and saturated the brush completely. Then I painted the stamped woodgrain image I had previously stamped in Momento Tuxedo Black ink. It's important to stamp you stamp in an ink that won't run and will stay put! Another fun thing to do is heat emboss the stamped image before beginning to paint it for a resist technique. Just keep running the paint over the stamped image till you're happy and then repeat with the other mists, making sure you rinse the brush as you go along so that you don't contaminate your mists. To dry faster you can use your heat tool. I then ran some Vintage Photo Distress ink along the edges and smudged a little in the center.

The last technique I'll be showing you is a white wash. For this you'll need an opaque white mist or a cream. I used October Afternoon's White Doily. You'll also need a dry brush. I used an old makeup brush.


You can see that I started white washing from the bottom and stopped about half way up to let you see the before and after. I usually white wash from left to right, but you could to it from top to bottom, too! Really, it's all about what makes you happy!

I hope you enjoyed my mini tutorial! Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be sure to get back to you with an answer as soon as I can!


Inky, glittery, and misty fingers for all!
-Gaby

3 comments:

  1. Whoopsie, forgot to add my blog address: www.gabyspapery.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT tutorial Gaby..I haven't thought about using my mist sprays other than just spraying them right out of the bottle. I am definitely trying out the whitewash technique...great job : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job BFF!!!! I love this!!! Now to go buy some glimmer must paints!!!!

    Super job!!!

    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please leave your blog address so I can visit you, too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...